Yu Meng, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Clemson University, SC, USA
B.S. Biotechnology, Wuhan University, China
RUTGERS UNIVERSITY – PISCATAWAY, NJ 01/2010-2015
Research Associate in Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine Principal Investigator: Peter Lobel
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics study of a novel peptide mediated intravenous delivery system in preclinical mouse model of a neurodegenerative lysosomal storage disease (Late infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis-LINCL).
- Investigation of the molecular mechanism of the novel peptide in mediating delivery of large molecule therapeutics across blood brain barrier into the brain.
- Characterization of intrathecal enzyme replacement therapy for LINCL. Identification of biomarkers in LINCL mouse model.
CLEMSON UNIVERSITY – CLEMSON, SC 08/2005-12/2009
Graduate Research Assistant in Department of Genetics and Biochemistry
- Expression and purification of an archaeal medium-chain acyl-CoA synthetase (ACS). Characterization of the enzymatic mechanism of ACS.
- Construction, production and structure modeling of ACS variants.
CHINESE ACADEMY OF SCIENCE – BEIJING, CHINA 01/2004-06/2004
Research Assistant in Molecular Microbiology Research Center
- Molecular cloning of system specific promoter and construct expression vectors for C4 plant
- Drug delivery system; Protein engineering; Neurodegenerative disease
- Efficacy and mechanism study of the effective drug carrier targeting at the blood-brain barrier for the treatment of a series of neurodegenerative disorders.
National Natural Science Foundation of China Program
Mechanism of a novel and efficient in-trans drug carrier K16ApoE across the blood-brain barrier
Zhejiang Provincial Natural Science Foundation of China
Study on the mechanism of new peptide carriers mediating drug crossing the blood-brain barrier
Wenzhou Municipal Science and Technology Bureau
Construction of the Chimera by Polypeptide K16ApoE and Lysosomal Enzyme TPP1 and Its Effect on Conquering Blood Brain Barrier
Grants as PI:
- National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Youth Research Award 01/2018-12/2020
- Zhe Jiang Province Natural Science Foundation (ZJNSF) Research Award 01/2016-12/2018
- Wenzhou Science and Technology Bureau Research Award 01/2018-12/2019
- Wenzhou-Kean University Student Partnering Faculty (SpF) Research Award 11/2015-06/2016
- Michelena, X. Tian, X. Zhou, Y. Meng. “The Impact on the Activity of Acetylcholinesterase of a Polylysine-ApoE Peptide Carrier Targeting the Blood Brain Barrier”, Fundam. Toxicol. Sci., 2018, 5(3): 123-126.
- Meng, J. Wiseman, Y. Nemtsova, D. Moore, J. Guevarra, K. Reuhl, W. Banks, R. Daneman, D. Sleat, P. Lobel. “A Basic ApoE-Based Peptide Mediator to Deliver Proteins across the Blood-Brain Barrier: Long-Term Efficacy, Toxicity, and Mechanism”, Molecular Therapy, 2017, pii: S1525-0016(17)30158-2.
- Wiseman, Y. Meng, Y. Nemtsova, P. Matteson, J. Millonig, D. Moore, D. Sleat, P. Lobel. “Chronic Enzyme Replacement to the Brain of a Late Infantile Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis Mouse Has Differential Effects on Phenotypes of Disease”, Mol Ther Methods Clin Dev, 2017, 4:204-212.
- Meng. “The Role of a Conserved Tryptophan Residue in Acetyl-Coenzyme A Synthetase”, Chinese Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2016, 32:1219-1226.
- Meng, I. Sohar, D. Sleat, R. Jenkins, G. Sarkar, J. Richardson, P. Lobel. “Effective treatment of late-infantile neuronal ceroid lipofuscinosis by peptide-mediated delivery of tripeptidyl peptidase I across the blood-brain barrier in a mouse model”, Molecular Therapy, 2014, 22: 547-53.